Friday, June 12, 2009

Friday Features: Candychick

FRIDAY FEATURES PROUDLY PRESENTS:
Candychick (aka The Candy Shoppe) as FEATURED SELLER

Recently, I revived this blog while updating everything I can and signing up for myspace. As I favorited some shops and adding friends, I came across Candychick, or Candice. She helped me with the idea of doing a show and promoting my shop. With her helping me, I decided to return the favor and feature her! So let's welcome her! She is my first featured seller! What a winner! :)

Me: Tell us a bit about yourself.
Candychick: My name is Candice Ware, from Toronto Ontario, Canada. I'm a grad from the animation program at Seneca College this past April. I am working on "The Princess and the Frog", a Disney movie that's coming out on your Thanksgiving. The company I work for is called Yowza at the moment.

Me: Whoa, that sounds pretty neat!! Can't wait for that movie to come out now! So what do you do in your shop? What do you offer?
Candychick: Mini food jewelry. I started doing it for me and would wear it to work (The Body Shop) and almost everyday, people would ask me where I got the ring or where they could get one. So I thought, 'Alright, I guess I should start making them for other people' and that's when I fell upon Etsy in Aug. And that's how I started. What I like to think is different from others is that I scent my items. Most of the time, it's vanilla, but I do have other scents for clients to pick from if they want something customized.

Me: Wowie, that makes me want to buy one now! I love the scent of vanilla! So, describe the process of creating your items: how, when, materials, etc.?
Candychick: I have to be in the mood to want to make something and have to get inspired. That's when I get to work. I pull out my fimo clay and start mixing colors and putting together my mini items. Most of the time, I make more than one so it takes much less time. After the whole baking and cooling, I spray a clear coat of finish so that it's waterproof. On all my fimo items, I make sure to make an extra one for me so I can quality test it. I just want to make sure that I can stand behind all my work.

Me: That's a lot of work, but it seems like it's worth it! So, got other hobbies that you love?
Candychick: Oh yes. I also love to paint and I hope to have a show ith my paintings soon. You can find a lot of work on my deviantart account. I also am part of a gaia, a little online forum community where I draw other people's avis for gaia gold. I have a lot of fun. I do a lot of things I like to keep busy. I want to put more of my painting skills with my photography skills on canvas together, something different.
Me: In your opinion, do you think there's a lot of competition in miniature food jewelry/accessories?
Candychick: I feel that there is on the internet! But I find when I do shows in Toronto, or when I worked in customer service, people would ask me about my minis. They thought it was so innovative that they have never seen anything like it before and they love the idea. So it's all about where you market it.

Me: Very true! Do you have any promotions going on now?
Candychick: Well, I have an ongoing one for anyone that lives in Canada. If you buy over three items, the shipping is free. Also, if you spend over $20, you get a free item. I don't have any other promotions since I have a show coming up.

Me: What's your top 5 favorite bands/singers? And top five websites?
Candychick: Top 5 bands/singers: Tegan and Sara, Paramore, MGMT, Namie Amuro, Akon
Top 5 websites: Gaia online, etsy, twitter, cute overlod, devianart

Me: Awesome! Now, other than your etsy shop, what other shops do you like/love?
Candychick: DecoAlley - she is also from Ontario, I love her work.
beautifulwork - a real sweetheart, sweet woman that sells lots of kawaii items.
esmeraldadesigns - she helped me out when I was new and gave me good davice on how to start a shop.
VulvaLoveLovely - I love this woman's work, what a different way to show off women's beauty! (PARENTAL ADVISE)

Me: Okay, last question, where do you see yourself in ten years?
Candychick: Well, I hope to be married and maybe have a baby if my partner and I are well off. I still want to be working in animation, always painting in shows, and traveling. This fall, I am taking a train to BC and back before I travel anywhere else. I just thought I should travel to my home before I go anywhere else.


FIND HER HERE!
etsy shop
blog
twitter

1 comment:

  1. *blush wow its odd to see our talk up hehe I like it thank you *hug your the best

    ReplyDelete